The last queen to live in the Palace of Versailles, Marie-Antoinette left a trace of marvels. The more I advanced with the pattern chart dedicated to the Palace, the more it became apparent the the sovereign deserved her own composition. Marie-Antoinette (1755-1793) continues to fascinate people. Despite her tragic destiny and the many grievances held against her, she left a legacy of wonderful objects. She had disappeared into widespread indifference and it would take years before she was recognised to her former glory. It started with Louis XVIII who gave her the funeral she never had in 1816. Little by little, her ordeal was recognised and she became an expiatory symbol of the Revolution. Later, the Empress Eugénie (1790-1864), devoted a large part of her time collecting objects belonging to the former queen. This role was taken over by the 19th century writers, Dumas and the Goncourt brothers. Finally, Pierre de Nolhac (1859-1936), the first curator of the Versailles Palace, as well as a great writer and historian, completely rehabilitated the image of Marie-Antoinette by restoring the Petit Trianon with her original good taste and exhuming her portraits. Today, Marie-Antoinette is a world-renowned myth.
Size of motif: 340 stitches wide by 340 stitches high. When embroidered on 12 count linen, the finished projects measures 56.7 x 56.7cm. This embroidery represents around 310 hours of work. The kit contains:
- the large 68 x 80cm poster printed on matt paper;
- a large 70cm squareof pink linen fabric;
- four 14cm squares linen fabric in off-white, one Sajou blue, one cyclamen, one mole and two lime tree;
- 35 cards of Retors du Nord embroidery floss: 2001, 2004 , 2005, 2018, 2022 x 3, 2023 x 2, 2024, 2025 x 2, 2032, 2034, 2036, 2037, 2041, 2042, 2180, 2190, 2227, 2317, 2340, 2350, 2409 x 2, 2443, 2445 x 2, 2469, 2535, 2536, 2615, 2818, 2876;
- two 28mm buttons to cover;
- roughly 20cm of two satin ribbons in pink and pale blue, as well as nine pieces of organza ribbons in pastel tones. The embroidery pattern chart sold separately and a selection of smaller kits and charts from the same collection are also available.